A new year means one thing to a lot of us right? New starts which in turn means we set New years resolutions weather that be lose weight, quit smoking, eat healthier or start the gym, we all have things we want to change in the forthcoming year but sadly if you’re anything like me then you don’t always stick to them past January! So with that being said I thought i’d give you a helping hand and offer you my top tips for sticking to your 2016 resolutions.
1. Be realistic – It’s great that we have such a passion to make changes or achieve things but I’ve seen people aiming to lose a stone in the first two weeks of Jan etc. I’m not saying that having drive to want to lose weight isn’t great but honestly loosing that much weight in two weeks wouldn’t be realistic or healthy. So when you’re thinking about your chosen goals make sure they’re realistic to you and your lifestyle, that way you can achieve them without feeling like you’ve failed or let yourself down.
2. Don’t set yourself too many resolutions – One of the biggest mistakes that people seem to make when setting new years resolutions is that they set themselves too many, this means that instead of leaving yourself motivated you just end up leaving yourself overwhelmed and stressed. If you set yourself just one or two resolutions then you will be able to focus and put all your energies into the changes you want to make.
3. Find someone to share them with – Two minds are better than one right? Finding someone to share your resolutions with is a great idea, that way if either of you are struggling then you can keep each other motivated, offer advice, be a shoulder to cry on when things aren’t going so good or someone to celebrate with when you smash your targets!
4. Don’t be so hard on yourself – None of us are perfect so when we set our New Years resolutions always remember that it’s fine to have set backs. There are no set rules for how you should deal with your resolutions so just because you might have a slight slip up in January, it doesn’t mean you have failed or let yourself down . Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and remember that you can achieve anything you set your mind too!
5. Visualise your end result – We all know that sticking to something at the beginning when you don’t see any results can be tough so whenever you start to feel unmotivated or like you want to give up, always remember why you started and visualise your end result. So if your aim is to lose weight then you should visualise how you’ll look and feel when you’ve reached your target weight.
So guys these are my top 5 tips for sticking to your New Year’s resolutions, hopefully you’ll find them helpful and I hope that 2016 brings you all every happiness and you achieve every goal you set your minds too!